Best served cold, a la mode.
I N G R E D I E N T S
- 1 stick of cold butter, diced (113 g)
- 1 1/4 cups of flour (185 g)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar (13 g)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 5 tablespoons of iced water (75 g)
- 1 egg for eggwash
- 1 cup sour cream (227 g)
- 1/2 cup sugar (100 g)
- 2 tablespoons flour (20 g)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 eggs (100 g)
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract (7 g)
- 5 medium honey crisp or granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced (650 g)
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 cup of flour (140 g)
- 6 tablespoons of softened butter (84 g)
- 1/3 cup of golden brown sugar (55 g)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
D I R E C T I O N S
- Prep the pie crust first. You can do this the night before baking. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender or your hands, cut in cold butter until the chunks resemble the size of almonds. Add in the iced water and use a spoon or your hands to mix until barely combined. Turn out onto your work surface and continue working into a dough. Press into a round disc, place inside a reusable silicone bag (or plastic), and chill in the fridge for an hour.
- After an hour, roll out the dough until it’s about 1/8 inch thick. Fit into a 9 inch pie pan and trim the edge so that there’s about 1 inch of overhang. Roll the edge over or tuck it under itself. Crimp or flute the edge. Wrap and freeze until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Peel, core, and dice the apples into roughly 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm cubes. Toss the apples in lemon juice, and drain in a colander. Whisk together the rest of the filling ingredients until smooth, and mix in the apple cubes until evenly coated.
- Make the streusel by combining all the streusel ingredients with a fork. Use your fingers if needed. I like a mixture of fine crumbles with some blueberry sized crumbles. Refrigerate.
- Add the filling into the frozen pie crust. Brush the crust edge with a beaten egg. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Take the pie out of the oven. Lower the temperature to 375°F. Pack the streusel on top of the filling – use all of it! Return the pie to the oven and continue baking for 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown. Cover with foil if the streusel browns too quickly.