I N G R E D I E N T S
- 250g all purpose flour
- 125g warm water (90-95°F)
- 3g dry active yeast
- 5g sugar
- 8 oz ground turkey (or mince your own pork for better texture)
- 4 oz napa cabbage, finely chopped (squeeze out the excess liquid)
- 1 stalk green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh minced ginger
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing cooking wine
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground Sichuan peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1/4 tsp sugar
D I R E C T I O N S
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let stand for 2 or 3 minutes until slightly foamy. Add the mixture to the flour and stir with a rubber spatula until mostly combined.
- Turn dough out onto counter and knead for about 10 minutes. Form into a smooth ball. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, turn once to oil the dough ball, and cover with a damp towel. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place for an hour or until doubled in size.
- Mix all of the filling ingredients and stir in one circular direction for a minute until combined.
- Punch down the dough once, roll out into a rectangle, and roll it lengthwise into a swiss roll/cinnamon roll shape. Using a scale, divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Mine ended up being about 47 grams each. Lightly flatten one of the pieces, and then fold in the edges to form a ball. Roll on an unfloured surface using the palm of your hand. Let sit for 5 minutes to relax the gluten. Repeat with the rest of the dough pieces.
- Using a small rolling pin, roll out a dough ball into a flat, round disc the size of your palm. Then, roll the edges out to be thinner than the center (it will end up about a 4 inch circle). Take 30-35 grams of the filling and place it in the center of the disc. Pleat the edges of the dough and seal. The pictures are self explanatory, but you can find YouTube videos that show you how to do this.
- Place each bao on a small parchment square. Place in steamer basket or bamboo steamer filled with hot water. Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Turn the heat on high until water is boiling. Once boiling, lower the hear to medium and continue steaming for 15 minutes.