About Me

Processed with VSCO with c3 preset

I have never had a niche. I fell victim to believing that I was gifted and smart as a kid, because that’s what I was told to believe. Believe it or not, getting 2nd place in the school spelling bee does not equate to brains and talent. I was rudely awakened in my teens when I realized that I was in fact, not gifted and not smart.

Growing up, I’d collected participation points and trophies to no end. From cumulative years of piano lessons, basketball practice, student government, guitar lessons, marching band, internships, all I’d ever been was exceptionally average. Except at basketball. I was horrible at basketball. I was a small forward 2% of the time and a benchwarmer for the other 98%.

Fast forward to college when I was clearly the black sheep of the family. Didn’t score high on my SAT/ACT, didn’t go to a reputable school, didn’t study to become a doctor or a lawyer. Constantly overshadowed by my smart and talented family, friends, classmates, and peers. Much to my chagrin, I ended up being the exact opposite of a sterotypical American-Born-Chinese millennial.

I think what I enjoy most about styling homemade food and DIY projects is that I don’t have to be good at it. For all you know, my pumpkin raviolis taste disgusting, but at least they look great in pictures πŸ˜‰. Just kidding though, they actually taste pretty average!

Follow me on Instagram πŸ“Έ @arjolee if you like what you see! Cue the Lizzie McGuire theme song..