It’s only October 7th and I’m already stressed out that October is almost over. Pumpkins get a lot of attention this season, but let’s not forget about apples.
I marinated short ribs in a mix of apple cider (not the hard kind, and not the sparkling kind), peppercorns, and crushed garlic. After a few hours, I patted them dry and dusted each surface with flour. I seared the ribs on the stove with garlic and shallots to seal in flavor and color. Then, I dumped the ribs into the Instant Pot, along with the marinade liquid, fresh thyme, salt, and pepper. I let the Instant Pot work its magic while I made roasted garlic mashed cauliflower and assorted roasted vegetables.
I N G R E D I E N T S
- 3 pounds of beef short ribs
- 2+ cups of apple cider, no sugar added
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 head of roasted garlic
- thyme and rosemary
- 5 shallots, divided
- 2 cauliflower heads
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 bunch rainbow carrots
- olive oil
D I R E C T I O N S
- Cover the short ribs in apple cider, peppercorns, and crushed garlic.
- Roast the carrots and 4 shallots with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Drizzle olive oil over the top of a head of garlic, cut crosswise. Wrap in foil and roast along with the carrots and shallots.
- Prepare the cauliflower by breaking the heads into smaller florets. After rinsing, steam the cauliflower until fork tender (not too soft, or the mash will be watery)
- Pat and dry the short ribs and sprinkle each surface with flour. Lightly sear each side of the ribs in a heavy bottomed pan drizzled with oil.
- Toss the ribs and the marinade into the Instant Pot with rosemary and thyme. This can be cooked low and slow in the oven or a slow cooker as well.
- Heat the butter and cream until melted. In a food processor, process the cauliflower into a puree and add in the butter, cream, salt, pepper, and roasted garlic.
- Serve the ribs on a med of mashed cauliflower.
4 thoughts on “Apple Cider Braised Short Ribs with Mashed Cauliflower”
This looks so amazing! Those photos are making my mouth water 😍🙈
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much!!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Question Do you mean Apple cider or Apple cider vinegar! In the directions you said Apple cider vinegar , but on the list it says Apple cider ! There is a huge difference between the two ! I would love to make this but need clarification!
My bad, they’re apple cider braised short ribs, not apple cider vinegar braised short ribs! Thanks for notifying me.